The San Diego Zoo is extremely easy to get to by bus! I know you really want to take the Trolley there and avoid the bus altogether, but until that happens sometime in the distant future, you'll need to take Route 7.
Route 7 runs every 7-15 minutes all day long on weekdays and every 15-20 minutes on weekends (during Zoo hours). The fare is $2.25 per person ($1.10 for senior/disabled) and children under 5 are free. On weekends, two children under the age of 12 ride free with each paying adult. If you are riding three or more transit vehicles on your round trip, purchase a $5 day pass on the first vehicle you board or at the first Trolley station you visit. (see my fares page for more info)
From Downtown San Diego / South Bay / Trolley
If you are coming from Downtown San Diego:
- Weekdays: Just board any Route 7 bus along eastbound Broadway (at 3rd Ave., 5th Ave., etc.) and it will take you all the way to the Zoo!
- Weekends: Take the Blue or Orange Line trolley to the City College Station and transfer to Route 7 on the 11th Ave. side of the station (the bus stop sign says stop number 99343). The trip takes about 7-10 minutes from there. Tell the driver you want the zoo stop.
From SDSU/El Cajon Blvd./Adams Ave.
Take Route 1 or 11 to Park Blvd. & University Ave. and transfer to a southbound Route 7. You can also walk south on Park Blvd. from here but it is about 1 mile (1.2 km) away.
From La Jolla / University City / UCSD
- Weekdays: Take Route 30, 50 or 150 to any stop on Broadway in Downtown San Diego and then follow the Downtown instructions above.
- Weekends: Take the Route 30 to Old Town and transfer to any Route 10 (destination El Cajon & College or I-15 & University). Get off Route 10 at University Avenue & Park Blvd. Transfer to a southbound Route 7 on Park Blvd. toward Downtown from there. You can also walk south on Park Blvd. from here but it is about 1 mile (1.2 km) away.
From Old Town
Old Town Transit Center's main feature is the Trolley and Train platform. You can use the Trolley to get to the Zoo but it requires a lot of transfers (two Trolleys and a bus). I suggest using the bus only because it is faster and easier. However, I've included both sets of directions below.
- Bus Only (Faster): Take any Route 10 (destination El Cajon & College or I-15 & University). Get off Route 10 at University Avenue & Park Blvd. Transfer to a southbound Route 7 on Park Blvd. toward Downtown from there. You can also walk south on Park Blvd. from here but it is about 1 mile (1.2 km) away.
- Trolley & Bus (Slower): Take the Green Line Trolley to Santa Fe Depot. Transfer to the Orange Line Trolley on the same track to El Cajon. Get off four stations later at City College. Transfer to any Route 7 at the bus stop on 11th Avenue (the sign says stop number 99343).
From La Mesa/University Ave
Take Route 7 all the way to the Zoo!